Angela Hunter was born in Galashiels in 1951 and has lived in Innerleithen for the last 40 years.
She attended Edinburgh College of Art as a mature student and graduated in 1999 with a degree in sculpture. Her passion lies in modelling both animal and human form; and inspiration stems from observation of the natural world around us. Modelling in various materials, clay, plaster or wax she captures the attitude of an animal or a moment frozen in time, sometimes with humour but without sentimentality. Her work is then cast either in bronze or resin bronze.
Angela exhibits regularly in commercial galleries North and South of the Border and also contributes to the annual exhibitions in Scotland; Visual Arts Scotland, Royal Glasgow Institute and Paisley Art Institute. Since her first commission of ‘Penguins’ for the Dundee City Council in 2005 she has been in demand:
2014: Aberforth Investment Partnership: Bull presentation (Bronze)
2014: St Andrews Golf Club - Two trophies. (Bronze)
2013: Scottish Rugby, Murrayfield - Bill McLaren Bust (Bronze)
2012: Margaret Kerr Trust, Borders General Hospital – Portrait bust and “Spring Lambs” (Bronze)
2011: Riverside Inverclyde - “Girl on a Suitcase” Gourock (Bronze)
2011: East Lothian Council - “Wildlife Trail” Dunbar Primary School, Lochend Campus.(Bronze)
2009: Turnbull Clan Association - “Turning the Bull” Heart of Hawick civic space (Bronze)
2006: Melrose Rugby Football Club - Stuart Henderson “ Player of the Year” trophy (Bronze)
2005: Dundee City Council - “Penguins” “Squirrel” and “Information Monkey” (Bronze)
2008: Paisley Art Institute – Reid Kerr College Award for Sculpture
2007: Paisley Art Institute - 'Contemporary Fine Art Gallery Eaton Award'
2006: Visual Arts Scotland – Awarded 'PF Charitable Trust Award' and 'Charles Henshaw & Sons' Award
1998: Sense Scotland - 'Helen Keller Award'
1997: British Art Medal Society Student Art Medal Project, Simmons Gallery, London.
Prof. & Mrs. S. Joffe, Dunderave
Lord & Lady Heseltine
Worshipful Company of Ironmongers
Strathclyde University – Cargill-Thomson Collection